City & Guilds Photography

Thursday 9 June 2011

Photoshoot - Theme One Cannock Chase

Aims

For this photoshoot I aimed to further improve my photography on nature. Here I aimed to take photographs of trees that were stand alone and centered in the shot. I aimed to gain similar works to the likes of Ansel Adams and John Shaw. I attempted this type of work when I went on another recent photoshoot but was unable to find a standalone trees with a good background so there was a lot of objects interupting the photographs making them look very crowded.

Equipment

* Canon 1000D

* Standard 18-55mm Lens

* 70-300mm Zoom Lens

* Tripod

* Spare Battery and Memory Card

Safety Considerations

Safety considerations played quite a big part on this photoshoot for many reasons. The first main reason was the setting. Cannock Chase is a huge area that has many different types of terrain. So I had to be wary of my bearings and took extra care when walking around the different areas. Again like my other photoshoot it was very hot and where there is a lot of pollen present so I took extra precautions when walking around to make sure my hayfever did not affect me to a dangerous level.

The Photoshoot


1/500, F-Stop 7.1, 400 ISO

This is the first photograph I have chosen from my collection. Personally, I am very happy with how this photograph turned out. I manage to include everything in the photograph that I intented to. I managed to centre th main focal point in the photograph and managed to take the photograph with a perfect, bright and colourful background. I took the photograph with the view of land in front of the tree to lead the viewers eye upto the main focal point which completely dominates the photograph. It was very bright especially in the background because it was just clear sky so a fast shutter speed was needed here.


1/500, F-Stop 7.1, ISO 400

This photograph takes a similar approach to the last one. The only difference is that there are three trees present instead of one main tree. This was intented as I have postioned them correctlty from left to right within the photograph instead of dotting them all over the place. This creates a lovely postional shot again with a beautiful background. Again colour also played a big part within this photograph from the different greens from the grass to the blues in the sky.


1/640, F-Stop 6.3, ISO 400


1/500,  F-Stop 7.1, ISO 400

Again, similar to the first photograph I aimed to get the tree centred in the middle of the photograph without any distractions interrupting the shot. Here I have focused highly on postion of the main focal point with the same amount of space between the tree and the edge of the frame on the left and right of both photographs This is pretty much equal making them look even more centered. Again, I have the ground leading upto the main focal point in both photographs creating a small lines that guide the eye compostion.

1/50, F-Stop 5.6, ISO 400

1/160, F-Stop 5.0, ISO 400

These two photographs are of the same theme but just a little bit different. Similar to Ansel Adams work I have attempted to have the main focal point right at the front of the photograph with the background becoming slightly blurred out as you go deeper into the photograph but still creating a pattern effect from the different tree barks. This didn't work too well on the first attempt but on the second attempt it seems to have worked quite well. This required quite a low shutter speed as these trees were very tall and blocked alot of the natural sunlight. I also had to use a low F-Stop so that the background would be out of focus.

Evaluation

Overall I am very pleased with how the photoshoot turned out. I was able to go out with a plan of what sort of photograph I was going to take and I was able to attempt these without any problems what so ever. I feel that I have managed to succesfully research a certain photographers work and was able to go out and attempt it myself. If I was to attempt this photoshoot again I would probably attempt the close up shots again. I would attempt this again as I feel I could experiment with my camera settings and positions a little more deeper to gain different results. I will be also looking at a few of my photographs that I have taken and making them black and white to match Ansel Adams work even more to see if the results are similar.

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    A good blog with relevant information and images that fits the theme, keep avery close eye on the images and the research images and compare and contrast one against the other.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete