City & Guilds Photography

Thursday 23 June 2011

Final Ten Photographs (Nature)

Below are my final ten photographs for the nature theme, underneath that is an explanation for the reason why I chose those photographs.


For my first photograph I have chosen one of my favourites. Whilst out on a photoshoot at Cannock Chase I managed to come across three trees at the top of a small hill. I managed to achieve a photograph of them at a distance. The reason I took the photograph at a distance was to get an equal distance between each tree. As you can see this has turned out perfectly. Colour has also been concentrated here from the greens in the grass to the blues in the sky. Rule of thirds was also used here with the ground being the bottom third, the trees being the middle third and the sky being the top third.



For my second photograph I thought I would try something a little bit different . Before leaving Cannock chase I spotted some Pine trees. Now as we know Pine trees are very tall so I wanted to express this by taking a photograph right next to the bottom of the tree bark and pointing upward right to the very top of the tree. I had to use a very fast shutter speed here to get the perfect brightness for the photograph as it was very bright outside and I was practically looking at the sky.



These two photographs were attempted in comparison of Ansel Adams work just in colour instead of black and white. By this I mean I have attempted his way of taking photographs by using the way he is positioned when taking photographs and where he positions the main focal point in his photograph which is mainly in the centre of the photograph. As you can see I have attempted this here by placing the main focal point (tree) in the centre of the photograph for each picture. I would also say that the rule of thirds composition is used in the bottom photograph with the ground being the bottom third, the main focal point being the middle third and the sky being the top third.


Agin this photograph takes Ansel Adam's work into consideration but again in colour and not black and white. Some of Ansel Adams's photographs include the main focal point which he is standing right next to which will be in focus and then in the background there will be the same sort of object for example tree barks. This creates a pattern effect from left to right across the photograph. This is what I feel I have achieved here with the main focal point being the closest tree in focus and then the patterned effect from left to right from the trees in the background. A low shutter speed had to be used here due to the towering pine trees covering the area blocking out the natural light. A low F-Stop was also used to get the background to be slightly blurry compared to the tree at the front of the photograph which is in focus.



Again, here is another photograph where I have attempted Ansel Adam's style of work where the main focal point is positioned right in the centre of the photograph with no other objects interrupting the photograph. A mixture of greens from the tree, blues from the sky and whites from the cloud mix together to create a warm colourful photograph.


Here I have gone for a similar approcah to how the photograph is taken but I have concentrated more on the main focal points detail rather than the colour surrounding it. As you can see I stood quite close to the main focal point so it took up most of the space in the photograph. I have concentrated highly on colour in the photograph from the whites and greens mixed on the main focal point.



Again, here is another photograph taken with similar style to my other photographs. I stood at quite a distance from the tree but because of the way I postioned the tree in the photograph alongside no interruptions I was able to make it the main focal point of the photograph without the viewers eye wandering off looking at something else. Again, there was a strong light source which is great as it mixes together with the colours from the tree and the ground making it a warm coloured photograph.



Here is a photograph which is a little different from the rest of my photographs. Instead of having the whole tree involved as the main focal point in the shot I decided to take the photograph of the lower half of the tree. This focuses on the detail of the history of this old oak tree from the old branches spreading out in different directions. I concentrated alot on the colour in this photograph from the greens which surround the tree to black/brown areas from the main focal point making the branches stand out boldly.



For my last photograph I have chosen another of my favourites from my collection. What I have done here is included the positioned the main focal point (tree) directly in the centre of the photograph. Here I have stood quite close to the tree so that it covers the photograph from left to right. I would also say that patterns have been included here aswell from the high amount of branches spreading out from the centre of the tree. This photograph was taken out in strong sunlight which brightnes up the photograph especially the main focal point making it look more colourful.


Conclusion

When researching this theme I gathered that the best way to take picutres of trees was to have them centered in the photograph with no interruptions. Classic examples from Ansel Adams and John Shaw show how well this works. So I wanted to attempt to repeat this style of photography with my work and I feel that this has gone very well. I have managed to keep the colour very concentrated in each photograph with the end result of bright and colourful photographs with minor interruptions. I have chosen these final ten photographs because I feel these are the successful photographs from when I attempted the style of photography from my pieces of research.

1 comment:

  1. I am right up there with your trees because I love to photograph them too. In particular here I love the upward looking one, seems like the tree goes on forever into the heavens with a swarm of leaves sweeping round and engulfing it. The third image up from bottom also attracts me for its shape and ghostly face within it....Im sure its a skeleton head!

    ReplyDelete