City & Guilds Photography

Thursday 26 May 2011

Unit 211 - Ways of Presenting Images - Photoshop

The previous post about different ways of presenting photographs was mainly about the different paper finishes and traditional methods. Photoshop can also play a very key part when presenting photographs. This is because there are many alterations and different things you can do to your photograph before actually presenting the image. In this post I will be showing some of my photographs and how I have edited them in photoshop to make them look how they are. I will be taking screen grabs of what I did on photoshop to achieve my final photographs.


This is my first photograph I will be editing. Now when I took this I had no idea that it would turn out like this. As you can see it is very dull and there are features in the photograph that are distracting to the viewers eye so really this photograph needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.





The first objective is to crop the image down to a reasonable size. Using this tool crops the image down to a certain size chosen by myself. This potentially gets rid of anything in the corners or side that aren't meant to be there and can completely transform your photograph. To achieve this I chose the size of the height, length and DPI (dots per inch) as shown in the top screen grab. When I have made my decision the photograph will be that size when it is cropped no matter what. As you can see after this has been done the image has been cropped down and looks a lot more even without any distractions.



Moving a little away from the main editing side of things on photoshop. Layers are very important when editing a photograph in photoshop. They provide a quick link back to what the original photograph was before the edit was put in place. This is great for when an edit doesn't go to plan or doesn't look right. I chose to duplicate the layer when cropping the photograph. This creates a layer which is exactly the same as the highlighted layer. After naming the layer appropriately you can apply the edit which you can then switch between quickly if you do not like it.



At the moment I feel that the photograph is very dull. This gives a very negative feel when looking at the photograph because the photograph is supposed to display a bright vibrant spring feel and this doesn't really show that. To do this I created a new adjustment layer (displayed in the first screen grab) and then chose "levels". Levels are used when you want to change the leveling of blacks, greys and whites in a photograph. This then brightens the photograph up quite a lot and can have quite a dramatic effect on the photograph. As you can see from the second screen grab I have increased the amount of white to brighten up the photograph and slightly increased the greys to equal this out.



As you can see after I have applyed the leveling edit it has completely transformed the photograph making it look bright, vibrant and full of colour.


This is my second photograph that I have chosen to edit for a number of reasons. When I look at this photograph I am distracted by the other objects creeping into the photograph. The main distraction is the other part of the tree on the right side of the photograph which is invading the photograph. I also think that the colour isn't great in the photograph. I think that the colour could be a lot more stronger making the photograph look a lot more colourful.



Again, I selected layers and then duplicate layer like I did on the first photograph to duplicate the highlighted layer. I then chose my settings for the crop which were 20 inches in width and 15 inches in height alongside 300 dots per inch. As you can see from after the crop has been applied the tree looks a lot more centered and not as much invading it.


Next is to sort out the colour. I might be being picky here but I feel that the colour on this photograph could be stronger and perhaps more bolder. There are many different methods for changing the colour on a photograph and all work in different ways. I personally like using the curves method which is displayed in the screen grab above. This method displays a diagonal showing colour strengths. From here you can adjust the line of colour balance to how you see fit for the photograph.


As you can see from the first of the two screen grabs not a lot of adjusting was needed but just that little bit of curve movement can have a dramatic effect on the colour and boldness of the photograph. As you can see there is a massive difference in how the photograph looks now compared to earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment